Thanks Troy for doing this post. It is a procedure I have been wanting to do but have not tried. I read about your work on this one with interest. I really glad that you took a chance on the old method.
I recently acquired this 1930’s 4 digit Kaywoodie Shellcraft #5651 from Ebay. Being a pre-World War II sandblast and one of my favorite Kaywoodie shapes (a 51) . I decided to bid on it. The blast looked really nice and looked in general really nice shape.
My main concern was it had a meer lining that was damaged about the rim. This is most likely why i won the pipe so easily and with a low bid. I thought well it shouldn’t be that hard of a repair and the seller told me in a message that he could not see any cracks in the bowl. Well we were both wrong, but we will get to that.
Stem had some tooth marks and the seller had listed the stinger was cut. Again no problem i thought , easily fixed.
Unscrewed the stem and it was indeed cut.
I did some…
View original post 1,410 more words