Blog by Steve Laug
The next pipe came to us from a pipe hunt in Northern Utah, USA so it has been sitting here since mid-2019. Even though the rusticated finish was dirty it had some charm showing through the grit and grime of the years. On the left side of the shank it was stamped Eriksen in an oval shape with a star before and after it. Under that it is stamped Handmade in Denmark. The saddle stem also had an upper case E on the upper left side of the Diamond saddle. The pipe is a rusticated Bulldog with a smooth rim top and shank band as well as a smooth panel for the stamping. The saddle stem fit the shape well and had a slight flair to the saddle! The finish is filthy with dust and grit ground into the rusticated briar of the bowl and shank sides. The bowl had a thick cake and an overflow of lava on the top and inner edge of the rim. There was burn damage on the inner edge and it was out of round. The stem was a vulcanite saddle stem that was dirty and calcified but surprisingly did not have tooth marks. Jeff took some photos of the pipe to show its overall condition before he started his cleanup work. He took photos of the rim top and bowl to give a clear picture of the thickness of the cake and the lava and dust ground into the rim top. He also took photos of the top and underside of the stem to show how clean the stem actually appeared. Jeff took photos of the sides and heel of the bowl and shank to give a picture of what the briar around the pipe looked like. He took a photo of the stamping on the shank and the stem. It reads as noted above and is clear and readable. I turned to Pipephil’s site (http://www.pipephil.eu/logos/en/logo-e4.html) to the section on Eriksen pipes. The screen capture links the Eriksen brand to Erik Nording. The finish on the second pipe in the photo below is identical to the Nording Bulldog I am working on.I turned to Pipedia (https://pipedia.org/wiki/N%C3%B8rding) and found a bit more information on the Eriksen brand connecting it to Nording pipes. The screen capture below from the site makes the connection well. Now it was time to work on the pipe. Jeff had cleaned up the pipe with his usual penchant for thoroughness. He reamed the pipe with a PipNet Pipe Reamer and cleaned up the remnants with a Savinelli Fitsall Pipe Knife. He scrubbed the bowl with undiluted Murphy’s Oil Soap with a tooth brush. He worked over the debris on the rim top and was able to remove it. He rinsed it under running warm water to remove the soap and grime. He cleaned out the inside of the shank and the airway in the stem with alcohol, cotton swabs and pipe cleaners. He soaked the stem in Before & After Pipe Stem Deoxidizer and rinsed it off with warm water. He scrubbed the stem with Soft Scrub and cotton pads to remove remaining oxidation on the ferrule and the stem. He rinsed it with warm water and dried it off. I took photos of the pipe once I received it. It really looked good. The rim top and the rim looked good but the bowl was out of round and damaged. The stem had some remaining oxidation but it was otherwise clean. I took a photo of the stamping on the left side of the shank. It was clear and read as noted above. I removed the stem and took a photo of the pipe to give a sense of the whole. I decided to start my work on the pipe by dealing with the out of round bowl. I worked it over with a folded piece of 220 grit sandpaper. I restained the inner edge of the bowl with a Cherry stain pen and it matched the top of the rim and the smooth portions of the shank and shank end.I rubbed the bowl and shank down with Before & After Restoration Balm. I worked it into the surface of the bowl sides and shank with my fingertips. I used a horsehair shoe brush to work it into rustication. The product works to clean, enliven and protect the briar. I let the balm sit for 15 minutes and then buffed with a cotton cloth to raise the shine. I scrubbed the stem with Soft Scrub All-Purpose Cleaner to remove the oxidation from the stem surface. The product works really without damaging the stamping on the saddle. I polished the scratches out of the acrylic stem with micromesh sanding pads – 1500-12000 grit pads. I wiped it down with a damp cloth after each sanding pad. I used Before & After Pipe Polish – both Fine and Extra Fine to further polish the stem. I touched up the gold E on the stem with Rub’n Buff Antique Gold. I worked it into the stamp with a tooth pick and buffed it off with a cotton pad. This combination rusticated and smooth Eriksen Handmade Danish Bulldog is a beauty. It is a pipe made by Erik Nording and was sold as a second but it is hard for me to understand what makes it a second. It has a flared vulcanite saddle stem that makes it a great looking pipe. I put the stem back on the bowl and buffed the pipe with Blue Diamond on the buffing wheel using a light touch on the briar. I gave the bowl multiple coats of Conservator’s Wax and the stem multiple coats of carnauba wax on the buffing wheel and followed that by buffing the entire pipe with a clean buffing pad. I hand buffed the pipe with a microfiber cloth to deepen the shine. The finished Eriksen Bulldog fits nicely in the hand and feels great. Give the finished pipe a look in the photos below. The dimensions of the pipe are Length: 5 ½ inches, Height: 1 ¾ inches, Outside diameter of the bowl: 1 ¾ inches long x 2 inches wide, Chamber diameter: ¾ of an inch. The weight of the pipe is 45grams/1.59oz. I will be adding it to the rebornpipes store shortly in the Danish Pipe Makers Section. Thanks for reading this blog and my reflections on the pipe while I worked on it. There are many more to come!