By Al Jones
This is the 2nd Sasieni Moorgate shape to cross my work bench. This one is in the sandblasted Ruff Root finish. The stem was oxidized, with a few dents and there was some heavy build-up on the bowl top. Build-up inside the shank prevented the tenon from a flush fit.
The bowl was reamed and I used a cloth and warm water to rub off the heavy top layer. I then used a worn piece of scotchbrite to carefully remove the rest. I was very pleased with the results. The stain was lightened slightly aI h alcohol and sea salt. At the same time, the stem was soaked in a mild Oxy-Clean solution, with a dab of grease over the blue dots.
I then used a lighter to lift the dents on both sides of the stem. A bristle brush dipped in alcohol was used to clean inside the shank. I then mounted the stem and used 800 grit wet paper to remove the heavy layer of oxidation, followed by 1,000 and 2,000 grade paper. The stem was finished with 8,000 and 12,000 grade micromesh paper and then buffed with White Diamond and Meguiars Plastic Polish. Sometimes the dots are faded on Sasieni stems, but the dots on this one were a lovely shade of robins egg blue.
The briar was hand polished with Halycon II wax.
Below is the finished pipe.