Blog by Steve Laug
The local pipe and cigar shop sent a fellow to me the other day with a broken tenon that needed to be replaced. He had dropped it in the snow while shoveling the walks and the tenon had snapped. He pulled the broken tenon out of the shank and tried to reglue the tenon in place with the broken part. Needless to say it did not work. He wanted to have the tenon replaced so he left it with me. The pipe was a nice little Pipa Croci sandblast Dublin. The bowl and rim were both sandblasted and there was a smooth band around the shank and up the underside where it was stamped. It read Pipo Croci over Fatta a Mano (Hand Made) over Mantova, Italia and finally the date – dal 1983. It is a light weight well-made pipe with an acrylic stem. The stem has the insert bar and dot logo on the top side. There were tooth marks on both sides at the button but otherwise the stem was in good condition. He wanted the new tenon and a basic cleanup on the pipe. I found the replacement Delrin tenon and took the following photos. I took a photo of the logo and the stamping on the underside of the shank. I rolled the shank and took a second photo to show the dates stamp.I flattened the broken remnant of tenon on the end of the stem to give it a smooth face. I drilled the airway with a bit a little larger than the airway. I moved through 3 other drill bits until it was large enough for the threaded tenon.I used a Dremel and sanding drum to reduce the diameter of the tenon to fit the mortise of the pipe. While I was at it I roughed up the threads on the tenon to give the glue something to grip.I cleaned up the threads on the tenon and the inside of the drilled out airway and coated the tenon end with black super glue gel. I fit it in the stem and adjusted the stem and tenon for a clean fit against the shank. I set the stem aside to let the glue cure on the new tenon. I scrubbed the briar with Before & After Restoration Balm, working it deep in the grooves and valley of the sandblast. I scrubbed it with a cotton swab to work it into the briar. The balm cleans, protects, restores and enlivens the briar. I buffed it with a horsehair shoe brush and rubbed it to a shine with a cotton cloth. Once the glue cured I put the stem on the pipe and buffed it with Blue Diamond to polish out the scratches. I gave the bowl several coats of Conservator’s Wax and the stem multiple coats of carnauba wax. I buffed the pipe with a clean buffing pad to raise the shine. I hand buffed it with a microfibre cloth to deepen the shine. The following photos show the finished pipe. It is ready to go back to its owner who I am sure is looking forward to smoking a bowl in it once more.