By Al Jones
This is yet another GBD shape that was new to my work bench. I thought for certain that it was a 2006, that was incorrectly listed. But on arrival, it was indeed a 206. I didn’t find many examples of the shape on the web, but learned that it was a smaller profile bulldog shape
The pipe was in decent shape, with a heavily oxidized stem (but great fitment), with the typical bowl-top build-up and a mild cake. The brass rondell had some fuzz on it, but was in otherwise great shape. Below is the pipe as it was received.
I reamed the cake with my Pipenet set and used a piece of worn Scotchbrite on the build-up. Once removed, a nicely beveled bowl top was revealed but it had a few dents and nicks. I used an electric iron on High, with a wet cloth to steam out some, but not all of the dings. Oh well, they add a little character.
The bowl was then soaked in Sea Salt and alcohol. While the bowl was soaking, I soaked the stem in a mild Oxy-clean solution, with a dab of heavy grease on the rondell. Following the soak, I used a bristle brush and alcohol to clean the shank. The stem was mounted and I used 800, 1500 and 2000 grade wet paper to remove the oxidation. This was followed by 8,000 and 12,000 micromesh sheets. The stem was then buffed with White Diamond and Meguiars Plastic Polish.
The bowl was buffed with White Diamond and several coats of Carnuba wax.
I found one curious item in the stem. While running thru a bristle cleaner soaked in alcohol, it seemed to hang up in the stem. On closer inspection, I could see metal inside the stem. I used a series of drill bits to work the metal out of the stem. It appeared to be perhaps a stinger that had broken off inside. I’ve never seen a GBD with a stinger, so I assume a previous owner may have tried to insert some homemade remedy. Thankfully, it came right out.
Below is the finished pipe.