By Al Jones
I found this shape 9456 on eBay and it looked to be a good candidate for restoration. While there was heavy build-up on the bowl top, I’ve found that these pipes are quite durable and clean up nicely. Besides the coated bowl top, the stem had the typical layer of oxidation and a few teeth indentions.
I removed the bowl top build-up with a cloth and a mild solution of Oxy-Clean (be careful to not get the Oxy-Clean on other parts of the bowl, it will lighten the stain). I used some 2000 grit wet paper to lessen the darkened area of the rim.
The bowl was then reamed and soaked with sea salt and alcohol. While the bowl was soaking, the stem was soaked in the mild solution of Oxy-Clean.
After the bowl soak was complete, I used an iron on high and wet cloth to steam out some of the handling marks around the bowl. The bowl was then polished with White Diamond and several coats of Carnuba wax.
Following the Oxy-clean soak, I removed the oxidation on the stem with 800 grit wet paper. I filled some small teeth indentions on both sides of the stem with the black superglue product and accelerator. Those were sanded flush with 800 grit paper and then 1500 grade. Next up was 1500 and 2000 grade wet paper on the rest of the stem, followed by 8,000 and 12,000 grade micromesh sheets. The stem was then polished with White Diamond and Meguiars Plastic polish.
Below is the finished pipe. It has a better grain pattern than I typically see on a New Standard. It is now being enjoyed by fellow pipe restorer, Charles Lemon and I was honored that he chose to purchase one of my pipes.