By Al Jones
I have worked on a few Kaywoodie “Handmade” stamped pipes in the past, but I don’t recall any also having the Supergrain stamping. This one came via eBay and the sellers photos showed it was in good condition save for the stinger. The stinger had been removed from the threaded vulcanite stem and was stuck in the mortise insert. Here is the pipe as it was received with the last picture showing the frozen stinger.
During the restoration, I was pleased to find the four hole stinger intact and with “Drinkless” visible. There is also a remnant of a number under that stamp. The four hole stinger was eliminated in the early 50’s. The ball on this one is smaller,so I estimate it to be from the late 40’s.
I reamed the bowl, which was in great condition. I plugged the end of the protruding stinger and filled the bowl with alcohol. After several hours of soaking, I was able to get the stinger to budge. Unfortunately, when it came out, a piece of the thin insert broke off on the outer edge. I used some JB weld to reattach it and filed it smooth. I think the repair will outlast the pipe.
I screwed the stinger back into the stem and secured it with some wood glue. It took me a few minutes to get it orientated correctly.
The stem was in terrific shape, with just some mild oxidation. So, I started with 800 grit, progressing thru 1500 and 2000. I then used 8000 and 12000 micromesh paper. The stem was then mounted onto the briar and buffed lightly with White Diamond and then several coats of Carnuba wax.
Here is the finished pipe.