This paneled Dublin came to me from Mark Domingues in a package that he sent. I think he sent it for possible briar to be used in the repair of the Peterson Irish Whiskey 999 that I worked on. The shank was quite badly cracked but otherwise this small pipe had not been smoked. The shank and the bowl were absolutely clean and unsmoked! All that sat in the bottom of the bowl was dust. The pipe is quite small as can be seen from my finger and thumb in the photo below. The finish was quite good, just a few small places on the edges of the panels that had rub spots on them. The shank was long so I looked at my options in repairing and restemming it. It was an older unsmoked pipe so it would have been a shame to pitch it in the bin. I could either band it or shorten the shank and then fit the stem.
After looking at the extent of the damage and weighing my options I chose to shorten the length of the shank. It had a deep set mortise so that would not be a problem. If I needed to I could drill it more deeply but time would tell. I decided to use a brass fitting on the shank to give me a straight line to saw. I have seen too many shank shortenings that have come out crooked so I figured a guide would keep the line straight. I used a hack saw with a fine blade to saw off the broken portion.
I used a Dremel to smooth out the end of the shank and remove the small pieces that stayed behind when the cut went through. I left the brass band in place while I sanded the end of the shank. I used a knife with a sharp blade to bevel the inner edge of the end of the mortise to receive the tenon and stem more closely. I liked the look of the brass pressure fitting so I decided to leave it as a band. I glued it in place with wood glue. I used a Dremel to trim off some of the excess on the tenon of the stem from my can and then followed up with a folded piece of 220 grit sandpaper until the tenon fit snugly in the shank.
I sanded the stem with 220 grit sandpaper followed by a medium grit and fine grit sanding sponge to remove the scratches and shape the stem at the end next to the band. I also used the Dremel to remove the ridges on the brass pressure fitting and give it a more rounded appearance. I sanded the band with the sandpaper and sanding sponges as well.
I finished sanding the stem with the micromesh sanding pads to polish it and give it a deep sheen. I wet sanded with 1500-2400 grit pads and dry sanded with 3200-12,000 grit pads. I rubbed the stem down with Obsidian Oil and when it was dry buffed it with White Diamond.
To touch up the rubbed areas on the ridges of the panels I stained the entire bowl with a dark brown aniline stain. I applied with cotton swabs and then flamed it. I hand rubbed the bowl with a soft cotton cloth.
I took the pipe to the buffer and buffed the stem and bowl with White Diamond. I avoided the band at this point as it leaves behind a black residue when buffed. I removed the stem and buffed the band with Red Tripoli and then lightly buffed it with White Diamond. I gave the entire pipe multiple coats of carnauba wax and buffed to a shine with a clean flannel buff. The finished pipe is shown below. It is ready for that long awaited inaugural bowl of tobacco. I am not sure what I will use to christen this new bowl but once the head cold I have leaves I have several in mind.