By Al Jones
This GBD 549 New Standard popped up on Ebay as a “Buy It Now” with only two pictures. The pictures showed the pipe had potential and it was priced right. Upon receipt, I found that this one had the thickest cake that I’d ever worked on. Looking at the bowl top, I was a bit worried about what was underneath.
I reamed the cake and found that the interior of the bowl was in very good condition. Much of the cake that had spilled over the bowl top flaked off. I removed the rest with a cloth and some very mild Oxy-Clean solution and then some 1500 wet paper. A beautiful beveled bowl top was quickly revealed and I gave a sigh of relief. There were a few ding marks around the bowl top that would need to be steamed out. I used an electric iron set on “high” with a very wet, folded cloth and I was successful at removing most of the larger dings.
While working on the bowl, the stem was soaked in a mild Oxy-Clean solution. Once the bowl work was completed, it was soaked with alcohol and sea salt. Following the soak, there were a lot of tar build-up in the shank that was removed with a soft brass bristle brush and alcohol.
I mounted the stem on the pipe and removed the oxidation with 800, 1500 and 2000 grade wet sandpaper. This was followed by 8000 and 12000 micromesh sheets. The stem was then buffed with White Diamond and several coats of Carnuba wax. The stem was finished by buffing with White Diamond and then Meguiars Plastic Polish.
Below is the finished pipe.