GBD “Sieur” Finish (Bulldog) Restoration


By Al Jones

I’ve restored over 200 pipes in the past few years, many of which were GBD’s, a marque that continues to be a favorite.  I thought that I had seen every finish they’ve made, so I was surprised to find this “Sieur” finish listed on Ebay.  I had to check out the Pipedia site to make sure this was a pre-Cadogan era finish.  GBD and Comoy’s both added a number of new lines after the merger, bu the Sieur was definitely a pre-Cadogan era pipe, with the brass rondell and “London,England” COM.  The 519 shape, a straight bulldog was also new to me.

Pipepedia didn’t have much on the Sieur finish and the 519 shape was not listed on the old Jerry Hannah site.  Over the years, I’ve shared a few emails with Jerry and he even sent me a 1970’s era GBD catalog.  Jerry’s old GBD website information was moved with permission to Pipedia a few years ago.  I’ve tried emailing him, but the address is no longer valid.  I always wonder what happened to him.   Jerry did have the Sieur finish listed on his site and it is described below.  From this pipe, we do now know it was also made in England in addition to the French production.

 

  • Sieur — France, unknown if also made in England: dark brown blast w/wide ring groove -BJ

The pipe arrived with a typically oxidized stem, with few dents and some build-up on the polished and beveled bowl top.

I put a dab of grease on the rondel and soaked the stem in a mild Oxy-clean solution.  I reamed the mild cake from the bowl and soaked it with alcohol and Kosher sea salt.  A worn piece of scotchbrite was used to remove the build-up on the bowl top.  There were a few dents on the bowl top, but most steamed out nicely with an electric iron and a wet cloth.  The bowl top was then buffed with White Diamond and several coats of carnuba wax.  I hand waxed the sandblasted briar section with Halycon wax.

The stem was mounted on the bowl and to remove the oxidation.  I used a flame to raise the bents on the bottom of the stem, leaving only one tiny tooth mark.  I used 800, 1,500 and 2,000 grade wet paper to remove the oxidation, followed by 8,000 and 12,000 grade micromesh sheets.  The stem was then buffed with White Diamond and Meguiars Plastic polish.

Below is the finished pipe.

 

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.