This bent billiard, shape 17 was in pretty decent shape. There was build-up on the bowl top and the stem had the typical layer of oxidation. The Guildhall finish should not be mistaken with the Comoy’s 2nd line called “The Guildhall” (the stem logo on those pipes has three slim slats). The Guildhall pipes, with drilled, 3 piece “C” stem logos have all had matte, contrast staining.
The pipe as it was delivered.
I used a piece of worn Scotch-Brite to remove the build-up from the bowl top, than lightly finished it with 2,000 grit wet paper. the beveled bowl top was in very good condition and seemingly protected by the build-up. The briar was then reamed with alcohol and sea salt. While the pipe was soaking, the stem was soaked in a mild oxy-clean solution.
Following the soaking process, the briar bowl was cleaned with brushes and paper towels (screwed into the shank). The stem was mounted and oxidation removed first with 800 grit paper, than 1500 and 2000 grades. 8,000 and 12,000 grade micromesh was used next. The oxidation hid a few teeth marks. I used the flame from a lighter to raise some of them. A few stubborn dents remained on the bottom side of the stem. I decided to let well enough alone. The stem was then buffed lightly with white diamond and Meguiars Plastic Polish. The stem was buffed with White Diamond and several coats of Carnuba wax.
This one was a relatively easy restoration. Below is the finished pipe.