NEPAL PROJECT PIPE SALE 6 –Restoring a Bantam ¼ bent Dublin


Blog by Steve Laug

This is the sixth pipe from the box of pipes that I was gifted by a good friend of mine with the instructed purpose of cleaning them up and selling them with all of the proceeds going to the aid of earthquake victims in Nepal. Once again all funds raised will all go to the SA Foundation, and organization that has worked in Nepal for over 15 years helping provide recovery, housing and job training for women who are victims of sexual exploitation and trafficking. The ongoing earthquakes (over 300) that continue to shake Nepal have left much in ruins. The SA Foundation Project there was able to find new housing for the women and help with staff as well. Every dollar raised from the sale of these pipes will go to the work in Nepal.

It is stamped on the left side of the shank, BANTAM with a cursive B on the saddle portion of the stem. On the right side it is stamped with the classic Comoy’s circle Made in London over England then the shape number 1007. On the underside of the shank next to the stem is the stamp O. In checking on the maker of the brand in Who Made That Pipe (WMTP) I found that it was indeed made by Comoy.

The finish on this one was in decent shape, just a little dirty. The rim had a build of tar on the back quarter that needed to be scraped and cleaned. The rim itself was quite clean and was undamaged on either the outer or inner edge. The stamping was very clear on both sides of the shank as noted above. I am a little mystified by the 1007 shape number on the shank as I can find no mention of that in the catalogues. The stem was oxidized and had a bit of tooth chatter on both the top and bottom sides near the button. The bowl had been reamed and cleaned but the inside of the shank and the stem were very dirty. The slot in the end of the stem was partially clogged and constricted the airflow. The pipe is a delicate Dublin shape around 5 inches long and very light weight.Bantam1

Bantam2

Bantam3

Bantam4 The close-up photo of the rim below shows the tar and oil build up on the back side as well as the ragged cake that had been left behind when the bowl had been reamed previously.Bantam5 I did not take photos of the bowl clean up. I am not sure what happened but I know I was working on several pipes at the same time so somehow I over looked photographing this one. I apologize for that and give you a description of the work I did on the bowl and the interior of the pipe.

I reamed back the rough cake with a sharp pen knife to smooth it out and leave a very thin coating. I scrubbed the rim with saliva and cotton pads and worked on it until I was able to get all of the tarry buildup off the back of the rim. I scrubbed the bowl with a tooth brush and Murphy’s Oil Soap and then rinsed it off with cool water. I dried off the bowl. I then buffed the bowl and rim with White Diamond and gave them a light coat of carnauba wax. I then took the bowl back to the work table and cleaned out the shank and the airway in the stem with pipe cleaners, cotton swabs and alcohol. I scrubbed until the cleaner came out white and the pipe smelled clean and fresh.

I did take a close-up picture of the stem to show the tooth chatter and tooth mark. The other side of the stem had matching tooth marks.Bantam6 I sanded out the tooth marks and the tooth chatter with 220 grit sandpaper followed by a medium and fine grit sanding sponge. Once I had the tooth marks cleaned up and no longer present I sanded the entire stem, carefully working around the stamped logo on the left side of the saddle.Bantam7

Bantam8 The oxidation on this one was particularly stubborn. I wet sanded it with 1500-2400 grit micromesh sanding pads and repeated that until I had the majority of the oxidation conquered. I rubbed the stem down with Obsidian Oil and took the first photo below. The oxidation still showed up in the bright light of the flash so I started over with this set of micromesh pads and repeated the process until it was clean.Bantam9 When the oxidation was gone I moved on to dry sand with 3200-4000 grit micromesh pads and sanded the stem until it began to shine. I rubbed it down with Obsidian Oil once more and when it dried I buffed the stem with White Diamond on the wheel before continuing with the next set of micromesh pads.Bantam10 I dry sanded with 6000-12,000 grit micromesh pads and then rubbed the stem down again with a final coat of Obsidian Oil.Bantam11 When the oil had dried I buffed the pipe and the stem with Blue Diamond Plastic Polish and then gave them both multiple coats of carnauba wax. The finished pipe is shown below. It is ready for the next owner to load with a bowl of his or her favourite tobacco and enjoy it. It should serve as a good smoke for a long time to come.Bantam12

Bantam13

Bantam14

Bantam15

Bantam16

Bantam17 You can purchase this beautifully shaped English looking Bantam 1007 ¼ bent Dublin and add it to your collection and help out the women of Nepal who are part of the SA Foundation’s project there. If you are interested in purchasing the pipe email me with an offer at slaug@uniserve.com and we can discuss it. The entirety of the sale price will go to the Nepal project. I will pay the postage so that does not get taken off the proceeds. If you are interested in reading about the SA Foundation you can look at their website at http://www.safoundation.com.

Thanks for looking.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s